Minutes Black Mountain Democratic Club
A Zoom social gathering, including “breakout rooms,” was held from 6:30-7:00 PM followed by the general meeting.
Lee Finney, BMDC President, welcomed everyone to the Zoom meeting. He led the flag salute and the preamble. Then there were the following announcements:
- Sylvia Ollinger stated that the Roosevelt Honors will be held August 29 via Zoom and anyone interested in attending was encouraged to register now. Kamela Harris will be the keynote speaker. Individual ticket is $75 and the VIP ticket is $125. More information is on the BMDC website.
- Jerry Ollinger stated that the Democratic National Convention will be held from August 17-20 and anyone interested in attending must RSVP. Information on how to sign-up is on the BMDC website.
- Claudia von Wilpert announced that Marni von Wilpert, who is running for City Council in District 5, has two fundraisers coming up August 21 & 28. Marni also has a Zoom Volunteer Kick-off on Saturday, August 15, at 4:00 PM. There is also phone banking and postcard writing going on now. Check the website marniforsandiego.com for more information.
- Tommy Hough shared reasons for BMDC to endorse Terra Lawson-Remer for SD County Board of Supervisors D3. He stated that Terra has shown concern for not only wild fire prevention but also habitat preservation.
- Lee Finney led a vote to endorse Terra Lawson-Remer for SD County Board of Supervisors D3. DMDC Members endorsed Terra by acclamation.
SPEAKER: Tiffany Cuellar introduced our speaker, Will Rodriguez Kennedy, Chairperson of SD County Democratic Party. Will spoke about current political dynamics in the county, emphasizing that Democrats are the dominant party now while the Republican have fallen into third place and we have the opportunity to elect Democrats to two traditionally-Republican offices: SD City Council District 5 and SD County Board of Supervisors District 3. He also spent some time discussing how the party will conduct campaigns during this age of Covid19. Afterwards he took questions.
WELCOME: Andrew Mikusicak, VP of Development, welcomed new members. He also discussed a survey he has developed that he would like all club members to take. This survey would be a first for the club and the goal is to use it as a vehicle to “reach out” to all members new and old. The survey is available to be completed online on the BMDC website.
TREASURER REPORT: Claudia von Wilpert, Treasurer, gave a brief report stating that there is $3600 in the club’s accounts. We have recently received $460 from new members.
GO TEAM: Jerry Ollinger, Go-Team Coordinator, announced that the GO Team Kick-Off via Zoom will be held on August 23. He also stated that Lee Finney would be taking over as GO Team Coordinator with Jerry’s assistance.
POST OFFICE DELAYS: Danny Jackson spoke about issues affecting the Postal Service and possible delays of mail-in ballots.
OPEN FORUM: Poway Democratic Club will hold their meeting August 13 at 7:00 PM and their speaker is Michael Vu who will be discussing voting in a Pandemic. Amongst other things he will address concern about postal delays.
NEXT MEETING: September 9th Social Gathering 6:30 PM General Meeting 7:00 PM
Marcia Finney, Secretary
Black Mountain Democratic Club